Friday, September 30, 2011

The Motions

For some reason, as the weather outside graudually gets cooler, my bed seems to become more and more comfortable. It is a difficult task to force myself out of my warm blankets to face each day. Typically, I hit the snooze button so many times that it eventually shuts itself off.

Each morning has the same routine. For me personally, I wake up, get dressed, do my hair and make up, brush my teeth, grab my coffee and leave for either class or church. Everyday. Sure I may not wake up at the same time every single morning, but once I'm awake, the same process is generally repeated.

I think this is how most people are. People get so caught up in their everyday lives, that they shift into auto-pilot mode. We start our days the same way. We do things such as going to school/work, running errands, coming home to do homework/studying, etc. Then, we go to bed and repeat. Some people spend entirely too much time working or doing schoolwork. While they are just trying to impress their boss or ace assignments, they also unfortunately lose precious time they could be using to spend time with their loved ones.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that these things are important. It is necessary to work in order to support a family. Getting an education is valuable too, but is that really what life is all about? Is living about waking up and going through the same motions day by day?

This morning, I got stuck in traffic on my commute to school. I was sitting on the freeway, when I suddenly noticed the sunrise directly in front of me. I took in the sites surrounding my car. The sky was gorgeous; pink and purple. The sun began to shine and the light burst through the leaves of the trees. These are the little things I never take time to give much attention to. These are the beautiful gifts that God gives to us as a reminder. A reminder of how great and wonderful He is. A reminder that we should be living our lives for Him. 

We must turn off auto-pilot mode and switch back over to manual. On a daily basis, we must spend time with our Heavenly Father. We must pray and give him thanks, even for the little things we often ignore. We need to set time aside everyday, to spend with Him. We must worship Him from the bottom of our hearts, and use our gifts to bring Him the honor and glory. Going through the motions is simply not enough, and we must come to realize that, and make a vital change in our daily lives.




Songs:  Matthew West-The Motions; 4 Him-The Basics of Life

Verses: Matthew 6:33; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18


No comments:

Post a Comment